wellbanner2
Our church here at Eve Lane, Upper Gornal  had its beginnings back in the 1930’s when evangelist Edward Jeffreys came to Dudley Town Hall for a series of meetings. Following these meetings a group of people started to meet in Salop Street, Dudley. 
As time passed a local shoe repairer Caleb Beardsmore  who attended the meetings at Bethel, felt the call to start a church in Gornal. So with some members from the Bethel to support him they started to meet in his front room at 47c Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The church at Upper Gornal was founded in 1936 and Pastor Caleb Beardsmore was our first Pastor from 1936 to 1963. But the people needed somewhere to meet. An old bakehouse in Eve Lane was found, built of Gornal stone with a slate roof, it had outdoor steps at the rear to reach an upper floor. This upper floor had used to be a joiners shop but was now unused. This “Upper Room” was cleaned out and the people at last had a true meeting place.
Upper Room 1936-1939 - The old bakehouse
Under Pastor Beardsmore’s leadership the congregation grew and larger premises were needed, so a piece of land was sought. A prophesy was given that the land was “on the doorstep”. The owner of the bakehouse and the surrounding land was contacted and the bakehouse and the land was bought.
Between the years of 1936 and 1939 the congregation continued to meet in the “Upper Room”, but work was now taking place on the surrounding land as the first church building at Eve Lane was being built.
In the autumn of 1939 the church (fondly known by many as the ‘mission’) was opened by Mr John Carter. During the 1950’s the Sunday school was built on to the rear of the church.
Pastor Gerald Chamberlain was our Pastor from 1963 – 1974, then Pastor George J Williamson from 1974 – 1978 and Pastor James Holden from 1978 – 1982.
images (20)
In the early 80’s it became clear that a bigger and modern building was required and in 1983 the final services were held in the old church building. Whilst our new church building was being built we met for our Sunday Services and Bible Study in Sycamore Green School, and our prayer meetings were house groups. In August 1983 after the church building was demolished, and before any work on the new building took place, a service was held on the site of the old Church to dedicate the land. And then the building programme began. The excavations and the foundations were laid in November 1983. In March 1984 the interior brickwork began to rise and in April 1984 the steel framework was erected. On the 2nd May 1984 following the ground floor being laid the congregation met on site for a short service. Our new church building was opened at a dedication service on December 1984. Pastor Allan Penduck was our Pastor from 1987 – 2012. Pastor Craig Bennett was our Pastor from May 2013 – July 2015. Pastor Nigel Marsh has been our Pastor since January 2019.
2254504427_e26d29e643
Upper Gornal Pentecostal Church
Eve Lane, Upper Gornal,
Dudley. DY1 3TY
 
Tel: 01902 662777/663000
 
Email: gornal.aog@btinternet.com
 
Creche- We have a creche for small children
upstairs in the church..please ask for more details.